Old Town Phuket & Peranakan Food Trail
Experience the other side of Phuket rarely explored. Dubbed a City of Gastronomy by UNESCO in 2011, Phuket is home to a diversity of cuisine, e.g. Chinese, Peranakan or Baba (a fusion of Chinese, Malay, and Thai cuisine), Malay, and halal food. Enjoy Phuket-style extended breakfast, steaming trays of Dim Sum, spicy curry served with roti, Moo Hong (pork belly stewed in seasoned soy sauce), and many more. Delve into the culture of Phuket’s Old Town, the city’s historic quarter. This is where the old-school ways of life thrive, and the colorful Sino-Portuguese shophouses, beautiful Chinese shrines, alternate with modern art galleries and artsy cafes.
Phuket’s Old Town is Thailand’s heartland of the Peranakan culture, whose people is called Baba (men) and Yaya (women), or descendants of the locals and the Chinese who migrated to the Malay Peninsula around a century ago. The culture features Sino-Portuguese architecture which combines Chinese and European art, intricate cuisine, and beautiful embroidered attire, especially Yaya’s, which is called Kebaya. Do not miss this one chance to experience the quarter and the only-one-of-its-kind culture in Thailand
- 100% local experience with friendly licensed Thai tour guide
- 7+ delicious dishes, drinks, and snacks such as granny-recipe Dim Sum, spicy Southern Thai curry with rice vermicelli, roti and halal curry, Peranakan dishes like Moo Hong, Popiah, and deep-fried banana at Phuket's Old Town favorite eateries.
- A walk through Phuket's Old Town to experience local ways of life, to sightsee its beautiful heritage Sino-Portuguese buildings and an ancient Chinese shrine
- Peranakan culture and cuisine in a nutshell
- Panoramic view of Phuket from a hilltop in the city's center
Is the tour for me?
Travel Style : Foodie
Duration : 8.30am – 3pm
Availability : Everyday
Group Size : up to 10 persons (Join In)
From your hotel, we start the tour in Phuket's Old Town, a charming cultural neighborhood where we have a Phuket-style breakfast like Dim Sum, Southern Thai curry served with rice vermicelli and unlimited fresh vegetables. Done with that, we move to another stall for fresh-made charcoal-fried roti and halal curry. Our cultural walk through this historical neighborhood begins on Tha Lang Road dotted with beautiful and colorful Sino-Portuguese buildings. Here, you sightsee and learn about the unique Peranakan culture. By now it's about lunch time and we head to feast on the Peranakan food like Porpie and Moo Hong. We finish this food journey by having a sweet at a hilltop restaurant surrounded by tranquility and overlooking Phuket's cityscape. Drop off at your hotel.
- Pick up and drop off at your hotel
- Transportation by the van during the tour
- Basic medical insurance
What's not included?
- Gratuities to tour guide & van driver
- Food and beverages which the tour does not provide
At your hotel
Every Smiling Tuk Tuk ™ tour has been designed with an emphasis on sustainable development of the communities we work with in every angle, be it environment and culture preservations, economic and social development. Doing this tour with us, you don't only contribute to giving the people of Phuket's Old Town and small restaurant business a new source of income, but also help them preserve the Peranakan culture. Your interest in the culture goes along with the local's effort to revived the long-gone traditions, building more museums, restoring the derelict Sino-Portuguese buildings, and many more.